The former chapel, listed as grade II* by English Heritage, was built in 1818 as a Methodist chapel. Its first service was met with an angry mob throwing stones at the preacher from Weymouth. It probably remained in use until the new Methodist chapel was built in 1862-63.
It was used for worship by at least four of the six Tolpuddle Martyrs, and three of them may well have preached from its pulpit. It is believed that George Loveless (one of the Martyrs) was a lay preacher in the chapel.
The building is mainly built of cob on brick and stone/flint bases. The roof has double roman clay tiles. The original door leading from the road is blocked with an infill window with a boarded hatch above it. There is a beautiful original central pointed arched window opening on the rear wall which is blocked with brickwork. The building is thought to be little altered from how it looked in the 1830s, although it may have had a thatched roof at that time and some of the doors have been moved.
A village community group has formed a trust to restore the building. See more here: Tolpuddle Old Chapel Trust